Sunday, August 30, 2009

Since I Ain’t Got You” – An Exclusive Interview with French Jazz Musician Pierre Sibille on His First North America CD Release

Began his career at the age of 14 in the clubs of the south of France,
French R&B/Jazz musician Pierre Sibille is releasing his first CD in North America, entitled “Since I Ain’t Got You.” Ucombo Music Reviews editor Meg Dilts had the opportunity to conduct an exclusive interview him this week.

Meg: We’ve had the pleasure listening to the 3 tracks on your newest release “Since I Ain’t Got You”. I’m very much impressed by your natural singing tone which must be essential to a great jazz singer. We heard that you are not only a singer, but also a pianist, a composer, and a harmonica player. This is unusual, can you tell us how you got your start in every aspect?

Pierre: I have played the Harmonica ever since my mother found out that it was a nice way to stop me from crying when I was a baby. I have had a harmonica with me ever since. Then I started to play the piano at the age of 6. I wanted to play the Blues, I was fascinated by Ray Charles, Memphis Slim, Nina Simone. . . I started to learned Classical music but I always wanted to reach the feeling that I had when I was listening to the Blues. Even if I couldn’t understand a word, I was still catching the essence. Composing just became a natural way to reach that same feeling.

Meg: You got your start at 14 in the clubs of the south of France, what was it like to start a career at such a young age?

Pierre: Yes, at 14 it was in a couple of little concerts with friends . . . but I started to like the idea to practice a song, build an ambiance and perform. At the age of 15 I met a great American pianist-singer, Randy Bettis. I started to play the harmonica with him, he taught me all the left hands – the basslines. He also made me listen to different kinds of Blues. We were playing one or two times a week. At the age of 16 I was able to play piano solos with the harmonica, like Bob Dylan. I started to play every time that I could. My parents or my girlfriend, had to drop me at the clubs because I didn’t have my driver license yet.

To read more of the interview, go to Ucombo Music Reviews.

No comments: