Monday, July 18, 2011

A conversation with Tunde Olaniran

As a child of an American social-activist mother and Nigerian Christian immigrant father, Tunde Olaniran has been instilled with the infusion of culture, consciousness, and rhythm since birth. Growing up, he lived in Germany, Nigeria, and England before settling in Flint, MI for his late adolescence where he was exposed to urban, folk, and soul influences of the small, humble city as well as a strong jazz influence on his mom’s behalf. We had a conversation with him this week about his music and life.


Hi Tunde, please introduce yourself to our readers.
I’m just a guy living in one of the most dangerous cities in the country.. making weird, dark electrosoul.


How did you come up with your stage name?
Tunde Olaniran is my real name! Go to Nigeria.. it’s as common as “John Smith.”


What sets you apart from other aspiring artists?
I think my music and performance sets me apart. I take really divergent musical influences and strip them down into a lo-fi aesthetic. My performance pushes against racial and gender boundaries and has a compelling DIY aspect.


To read more of the interviews, go to Ucombo Interviews.

No comments: